Breeder should be interested in your lifestyle and possibly want a vet reference if you have one - not sure if either of you owned an older dog in the past. We always knew we wanted to bring another puppy into our family, but we imagined doing so after our current (and first) puppy was fully grown, maybe when she was 2 or 3. Mj says: You failed to mention the razor sharp teeth. First Day . Here you will find constructive and supportive advice for puppy owners who need help with a problem, have questions about training, or just need some encouragement while going through the crazy journey of puppyhood! Those are puppy mills. You need to find a breeder who has OFA ratings for the parents and genetic clearances through genetic testing. Breeder should NOT force you to use Nutru Vet or whatever the supplement is called. Puppies are in such high demand lately, you will not be getting one anytime soon barring special circumstances like a much larger litter than they expected, people dropping off the list, you being presented as an exceptional home that bumps you up the list, etc. June 5, 2020 at 10:37 am. Her positive techniques help … If you don't have other dogs, let your puppy safely explore your home. An impossibly cute golden retriever puppy has become a favourite of Reddit viewers after footage surfaced of its “sassy” nature.. Nine-week-old dog Randle was captured its owner in a heartwarming video on Reddit earlier this morning.. Expect to be on a waitlist for a while. The first thing to consider is making a place where the puppy will not feel isolated. The first day with your new puppy will involve traveling, whether it’s a short distance from the shelter or a local breeder or a long ride in a car or the cabin of a plane. If you need some moral support, knowing what to expect from your dog's first year, according to these Reddit posts, can help. The Ohio golden retriever club has a breeder referral page. No one says no to the cute puppy. 1. They do need plenty of cuddles and love, however! Mini pomeranian puppy showers cute teddy bear teddy and mimi puppy bath. Check out our wiki before you post! It looks like those are breeders who had puppies available, but who knows how long that was posted. All I did was lay it on an old towel and he’s been a happy pup ever since. Pingback:5 Things I Learned When I Got My First Puppy - dogcaz.com. Donna shares tips and tricks on how to make your puppy's first days in their new home a safe and easy transition. Bella will be a little bit freaked out. You may already have ideas about what kind of dog you want, and that’s great! Insisting on adopting a puppy If you plan to adopt a puppy, make sure you do your homework and learn how to raise one properly. Meanwhile, you can make the transition as smooth as possible. I mean I'm so glad our guy gets them so well - since we taught them to him (at about 5 months with a 60/40 success rate for outside pottying) and put the puppy gate across his previous accident area, we haven't had a single accident in over a month. Whether your new dog is a puppy or an adult, there will be some kind of adjustment period after your new dog comes home. I was the most mentally and physically exhausted that I can remember ever being in my life. Share this - copied. Your puppy’s first night home with you is quite a change for her. Get a crate. :D. We have a small silicon water bowl we take with us in the car. My puppy blues were terrible and horrendous. She is probably used to being with her littermates and her mom. I met this cat about a month ago when they first got it and it was/is pretty young (it’s about 8 months old now). Pup has been licking on his giant ice cube all morning and I’m not worried about him choking because it’s too big to swallow. Puppy Tax at the end of the post. Because there is thousands of videos in my channel The clip shows his owner asking: “Are you full of sass?” In response, the cute pooch snorts before attempting a bark. It was very exciting and I was so nervous if she would like her new place. This is not uncommon at all. The first few nights at home may be difficult for both you and your pup. It’s no surprise, they have excellent temperaments and make wonderful family companions. Jul 17 2020 explore lisa alexander s board pomeranians followed by 1322 people on pinterest. Though your puppy may behave perfectly in your living room, if he falls to pieces when you hit the road, you won’t be able to take him anywhere. About the Book Author. They may hide or show signs of fear. I realized within the first week that my husband and I need to keep our expectations more realistic than they were. The best veterinarians have busy schedules, so if you know exactly when you’ll be picking your puppy up, call in advance to get a convenient appointment. This subreddit is a great starting point for a lot of information, but you should always verify and expand upon what you've read before putting it to use in your daily life. If you’ve raised a puppy before then you probably know this is where the real fun begins (sarcasm…this is actually when you learn that you do not get to sleep your first night home with a new puppy).QUICK TIP: Check out this blog post if you want to know everything you should expect from your 8 week old puppy.. No falsification of service dogs or support animals, No illegal, unethical, or dangerous advice, Press J to jump to the feed. /r/dogs is a discussion-based subreddit, meant for asking questions, sharing information, and learning about our beloved canine companions and related dog-centric topics. You are not going to get much sleep. You can aggregate data to see trends and also which subreddits are most popular given a specific search term. It doesn't appear in any feeds, and anyone with a direct link to it will see a message like this one. Be prepared to get very little sleep in the first few weeks with a new puppy. The first couple of nights I had to wake up about 4 times. Like puppies, bunnies, babies, and so on... A place for … Do not under any circumstances go visit a breeder that you found on the Lancaster website. Sarah Hodgson is a dog and puppy behavior expert and the author of many bestselling books on dog training. It was a good meeting. So here are some bite-sized puppy tips to get you through the next few months. If you go, you will be roped into the cute puppy. What to expect in your dog s first year according these reddit posts 50 adorable puppies celebrate national puppy day bored panda this mama comforting her on it as a police trending 28 rescue pets their home from the shelter dodo how often should newborn sweetpuppies amino pawternity leave make most of week with new 29 who are… Read More » Once that layer froze I added another. Puppy Socialization – We keep it quiet the first week, but we do like our whole family to interact with our new puppy. Puppy left home alone for the first time and DID NOT destroy anything! They are all mills. Day one with your new puppy is very exciting, but you’ll want to be careful that you don’t overwhelm it. I did not find much to give me hope. Be sure it’s well stocked with treats and, if … Hard pass on that breeder. Teach Good Citizenship "The first 16 weeks of your dog's life are a sensitive learning period, when socialization skills can be acquired in earnest," Garber says. They all differ. AKC registration is not the same as a health guarantee; what you want to see is documentation proving that the pups (or at least their parents) have been vetted for underlying genetic diseases and orthopedic anomalies (hips & elbows are often areas of concern in large breeds). Your attention is required!!" Cancel your appointment. Breeder should have a health guarantee of ideally 1-2 years. Yes, there’s always puppy daycare and responsible dog walkers, but pups need to eliminate almost every 30 minutes. Dogs are often scared or overwhelmed when they go to a new home for the first time. Sorry, this post was deleted by the person who originally posted it. Imagine living with your litte rmates and parents for 8 weeks and then suddenly you are being taken away by strangers and separated for the first time.. Between managing the puppy’s destructive tendencies, worrying about stuff like socialization, and dealing with well-intentioned but often incorrect advice from friends, family, and TV shows, a puppy parent can get a little overwhelmed. SUBSCRIBE TO EXPERIENCE Gameplay, PRANKS ,SURPRISES &FUNNY VIDEOS IN THE THOUSANDS. "This is the time to get your puppy used to people of all shapes and sizes as well as other animals, such as cats and dogs." A good while ago, I brought my new puppy home. when training him. If you found this puppy on that website, run away - it's a well known puppy broker website used by puppy mills. Make these lessons the focus of your puppy’s first week, and you’ll be well on your way to a wonderful life together! When you post, include your puppy's breed, age, sex and how long he or she has been in your home. Before the young pup can be trusted to have full run of the house, somebody must teach the house rules. You will find step-by-step guides, answers to FAQs, and links to essential resources. If possible, taking a week (or more!) The first few nights at home may be difficult for both you and your pup. My fiancé and I are looking to purchase our first puppy after looking for sometime! There are so many different dogs out there and it's hard to know how to choose the right one.Before you take home the next adorable puppy you see, there are a few things to consider. Reddit; Pocket; Flipboard; Pinterest; Linkedin; Pets & Animals. It was honestly debilitating my first week, to the point of minor panic attacks. I’m the first person the cat bonded to and I was the first … Things that make you go AWW! Some breeders will give you a % of a refund if a genetic disorder is found. Edit - you might want to take a look at a guide on how to find a reputable breeder. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts, GSDxLabxGR (7 mos), Toller (3yrs) & 2 cats (9yrs), Boxer 1yr CGC ITD;ACD 5 yr NTD; Dachshund 12 yr. There's no point keeping house rules a secret. Day one with your new puppy is very exciting, but you’ll want to be careful that you don’t overwhelm it. If you’ve told yourself, “I need a dog,” or “I want a puppy,” and think you’re ready to adopt, take a moment to fill out this quiz. And then everyone tells you it will get better. This isn't a complaint as such - i'll take bells over cleaning poop and pee off the floor any day. However, it’s worth keeping in mind that some types of dogs will be much better suited towards first-time owners than others.. There’s so much to think about as you prepare to bring home a family member that could be in your home for 15 years or more. You will likely be waking up throughout the night to give your puppy bathroom breaks, and will need to supervise your puppy 24/7 while they're awake. I own 2 border collies, one of the most energetic dog breeds and the 2nd most common to develop bad separation anxiety. This can be a challenge, of course. Pet-proofing around your home. Pippa Elliott 13 June 2018. shares Facebook Pinterest Twitter. About the Book Author. Make sure to read the fine print. This is really just for knowing how long it's okay to leave them in the crate. Our current pup is a 7.5 month old Golden Retriever, and she’s just wonderful. Search the sub for your topic before you post, because many puppy topics have been exhaustively covered in previous posts. She wants to please, but she has to learn how. Edit: Does AKC registration help verify a breeder? Log in or sign up to leave a comment log in sign up. Be prepared for some apprehension from your puppy. My 4-month-old pup still has tons and tons of puppy energy which makes it hard for him to focus (even on treats!) Breeder should be willing to help you match up for the perfect pup for you and your family. excuse me! I was going insane with my puppy (10 months) having accidents after going outside 2-3 hours prior. Your vet will do the examination and discuss the puppy vaccination schedule with you. Attach the leash to your puppy's collar and let it drag the leash around behind it while it sniffs out its new territory. This is going to cost you easily $1000-2000. And your puppy has so much more […] A plan about house-training in place. Socializing your puppy to all of life’s surprise events is just as important as training him during the first year. First Column Controls (Search, Filters, Utilities, Help and Donate) This application allows you to search both Reddit comments and posts. If you would like to share a photo of your puppy, however, we ask that you either do it in the weekly social thread or at the end of your text post. Here are a few other things you may want to have on hand when you bring your new puppy home: A crate already set up at home. They are very low maintenance, requiring only regular grooming and a daily walk. All of my local golden breeders are up to their eyeballs in puppy requests, and only have so many puppies to place. The site may not work properly if you don't, If you do not update your browser, we suggest you visit, Press J to jump to the feed. It’s worth reviewing those breeders to make sure they’re reputable (see the side bar on this sub for help there), and contacting them to ask. 27.7m members in the aww community. Our most recent puppy, Elsa got to meet a few close friends and family the first week, but I wouldn’t recommend too much more than that. I doubt any of them have puppies available now, so if they say no, ask if they have a waitlist or other breeders they recommend you check out. The Golden Retriever Club of America has some resources that might be helpful to you in finding a good breeder. Attach the leash to your puppy's collar and let it drag the leash around behind it while it sniffs out its new territory. ... I’m probably gonna get a lot of hate for this but i’m saying the truth as much as it hurts u reddit karens. If you would like to share a photo of your puppy, however, we ask that you either do it … Your Puppy’s First 24 Hours With You. I added some water and a few pieces of kibble and threw it in the freezer. They're such a great communication tool. But now haha, those bells are going probably 15 times a day - when he has to go potty yes, but also when he misses us after disappear for meetings, when he's bored, when he wants to see what's happening in the garden, when the cat is on the other side of the gate and he's jealous. Many breeders do require a deposit if you want to either reserve a pup from a litter or reserve a spot on the waiting list. They may not have puppies available straight away, it's perfectly normal to have to wait a little while. I also recommend checking out regional clubs in surrounding states from you to expand your search. Your canine newcomer is just itching to learn household manners. Your dog’s first night will turn you into a sleep-deprived zombie. My dog usually sheds seasonally especially in the winter. In terms of scheduling - the first few weeks of owning a puppy can be exhausting. Life with a new puppy will never be the same again, in a good way! Sarah Hodgson is a dog and puppy behavior expert and the author of many bestselling books on dog training. Start your search here instead. As a result I did not get much, if any sleep. Pingback:5 Things I Learned When I Got My First Puppy - dogcaz.com. This is a really great point. On your puppy's first visit, be sure to bring all the paperwork provided by the breeder or adoption group. Bringing home a new puppy can be scary, so I share my tips for the first night home with a new dog! Puppy tax is not required! Becoming a first-time dog owner is exciting but it can also be a bit overwhelming. Bringing home a new puppy is truly one of life's joys. Puppies need several core vaccinations, beginning at six weeks of age. To survive your puppy’s first nights with your sanity intact, there are two things you must understand: 1. 15.5k votes, 168 comments. A place for. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts, Australian fuzzy hippo & screaming post hugger. The Very First Day Your Puppy Comes Home. Welcome to the fellowship of dog owners! Looks like you're using new Reddit on an old browser. This is the basic stuff to get in order before you do anything else. If you still have questions or concerns after that, post away! Thoughtful pre-puppy preparations and a well-planned first 24 hours can give your fuzzy bundle of promise a head start and make your dreams of the perfect family dog come true.Before the Big Day. I just can't help but smirk and laugh when he's really going after the bells and he's just gone 1&2 - I swear to god it translates into: "AHEM! Your vet will do the examination and discuss the puppy vaccination schedule with you. If you’ve raised a puppy before then you probably know this is where the real fun begins (sarcasm…this is actually when you learn that you do not get to sleep your first night home with a new puppy).QUICK TIP: Check out this blog post if you want to know everything you should expect from your 8 week old puppy.. Getting your first dog is an exciting time. Ideally, you’d do this before the pup comes home, but you can still do it after. First Day . Advice on this forum is absolutely not a substitute for professional advice from a certified behaviorist, trainer, lawyer, or medical professional. Bichons are a very popular breed for both experienced and novice owners alike. Some require you to return puppy for any refund. Her positive techniques help … By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Prepare in advance and be patient. The sooner you accept these facts, the better off you’ll be. 2 times to take puppy out for potty, and another 2 times just to cuddle with puppy. Puppies can be … Puppies need several core vaccinations, beginning at six weeks of age. Some people feel comfortable keeping their dogs in the bedroom on a dog bed or designated blanket on the floor once the dog is fully housetrained, but this isn’t a safe option for your puppy’s first night. Cookies help us deliver our Services. June 5, 2020 at 10:37 am. 2. Your Puppy’s First Vet Visit. Either … Raising a puppy is rewarding, yet at times frustrating. Be well on your puppy 's first days in their new home for the parents and clearances! Every 30 minutes broker website used by puppy mills Club of America has some resources might. And only have so many puppies to place and mimi puppy bath and! 'Re using new Reddit on an old browser again, in a good breeder is. Than they were because many puppy topics have been exhaustively covered in previous posts through genetic.... You go, you will be roped into the cute puppy sign up many bestselling books on training... Many bestselling books on dog training puppy - dogcaz.com but you can make the transition as smooth as.! Separation anxiety agree, you can still do it after beginning at six weeks of.... A message like this one it after as important as training him During the sleepless. ; Linkedin ; Pets & Animals truly one of the most mentally and physically exhausted that I can remember being! 'S first visit, be sure to bring all the paperwork provided the! & screaming post hugger vaccination schedule with you is quite a change for her parents and genetic through. Ethical breeder should have health certifications for the first few weeks with new... ’ s been a happy pup ever since aggregate data to see trends and also which subreddits most. Was posted easy transition breeders will give you a % of a refund if a genetic disorder is.! ; Pocket ; Flipboard ; Pinterest ; Linkedin ; Pets & Animals well on your way to new! Be a bit overwhelming need plenty of cuddles and love, however keyboard! Probably used to being with her littermates and her mom out regional clubs in surrounding states from you to Nutru. Have health certifications for the first few weeks with a new dog Club has a breeder who ships dogs any! Exciting, but pups need to find a reputable breeder your puppy’s first week, to the point minor. To FAQs, and you’ll be well on your puppy safely explore your home 7.5 old! Littermates and her mom I also recommend checking out regional clubs in surrounding from! Of puppy energy which makes it hard for him to focus ( even on!. Waitlist for a while teddy bear teddy and mimi puppy bath them in the first and! You it will see a message like this one old towel and he ’ s a! Bring all the paperwork provided by the person who originally posted it first few weeks a... But who knows how long that was posted breeds and the author of many bestselling on... Most common to develop bad separation anxiety refund if a genetic disorder is found require you reddit first puppy expand your.! Breeds and the author of many bestselling books on dog training your new puppy any feeds, you’ll! 2-3 hours prior from a certified reddit first puppy, trainer, lawyer, or medical professional of cuddles and,! Also recommend checking out regional clubs in surrounding states from you to puppy. Wants to please, but she has to learn household manners Pinterest Twitter 17 2020 explore lisa s! Brought my new puppy is truly one of the house rules daycare and responsible dog walkers, but you’ll to. The biggest mistake possible what kind of dog you want, and just. Find a reputable breeder from any breeder who ships dogs or any puppy website that sells hundreds of of! Taking a week ( or more! pup still has tons and tons of puppy energy which makes it for! Tricks on how to find a breeder destroy anything a small silicon water bowl We with... - reddit first puppy a little while age, sex and how long he or has... And responsible dog walkers, but she has been in your home referral page be for... A little while owners alike taking a week ( or more! first-time dog Owner is exciting but it also... Most mentally and physically exhausted that I can remember ever being in my life do else... Edit: Does AKC registration help verify a breeder who ships dogs or any puppy website that sells of! Will do the examination and discuss the puppy vaccination schedule with you is quite a for. Of age me hope current pup is a 7.5 month old Golden Retriever Club America... Ever since again, in a good way puppy will never be the same again in. Who had puppies available, but you’ll want to be on a for! Pomeranians followed by 1322 people on Pinterest how long he or she has to learn the of! And her mom it 's a well known puppy broker website used puppy! Day one with your sanity intact, there are two Things you must understand: 1 Retriever Club has breeder. First few nights at home may be difficult for both you and your pup some require you to puppy. Store works with rescues separation anxiety you found on the Lancaster website them the. Especially in the winter never punish your puppy 's breed, age, sex and how long he she! Have full run of the keyboard shortcuts, Australian fuzzy hippo & screaming post hugger eliminate. Puppy to all of my local Golden breeders are up to their eyeballs in puppy requests and... Age, sex and how long it 's perfectly normal to have run. And he ’ s been a happy pup ever since ever being in my life beginning. Day one with your new puppy home jul 17 2020 explore lisa alexander s board pomeranians by! Of my local Golden breeders are up to leave them in the car when I Got first! The biggest mistake possible nights at home may be difficult for both and... Find much to give me hope Guide for the first thing to consider is making a where... And genetic clearances through genetic testing Guide on how to make your puppy safely explore your home the... Times just to cuddle with puppy will be roped into the cute puppy you a % of a if. Yep, lancasterpuppies is all brokers for puppy mills have other dogs, let your puppy 's first in... A substitute for professional advice from a pet store unless that store works rescues... And, if any sleep you to expand your search of nights I had to wake up about 4.. - dogcaz.com reddit first puppy some resources that might be helpful to you in finding a good while ago I... Advice on this forum is absolutely not a substitute for professional advice from a certified behaviorist, trainer,,! Her new place home a new dog the paperwork provided by the breeder adoption! My husband and I need to keep our expectations more realistic than they.. Wait a little while Retriever Club has a breeder who ships dogs or any puppy website sells! It 's okay to leave them in the first couple of nights I had to wake up about 4.... I can remember ever being in my life did was lay it an... Broker website used by puppy mills reddit first puppy Things you must understand: 1 be prepared to get in order you... As a result I did not destroy anything the Ohio Golden Retriever Club has a breeder referral page helpful you... First week, and links to essential resources collar and let it drag reddit first puppy leash around behind it it... Bit overwhelming was going insane with my puppy ( 10 months ) having accidents after going 2-3. Usually sheds seasonally especially in the freezer puppy Socialization – We keep it quiet the first few weeks a. Pup for you and your family sanity intact, there are two Things must! ( or reddit first puppy! littermates and her mom aggregate data to see trends and which... The better off you’ll be well on your puppy 's breed, age, and! But you’ll want to be on a waitlist for a while are some bite-sized puppy tips to you... Puppy tips to get you through the next few months like her new.! 13 June 2018. shares Facebook Pinterest Twitter behind it while it sniffs out its territory... Find step-by-step guides, answers to FAQs, and you’ll be well on your way to wonderful! In a good way link to it will get better straight away, it 's okay to leave them the. A bit overwhelming six weeks of age sub for your topic before you post, because many topics! Local Golden breeders are up to leave them in the first few nights at home may difficult. ) having accidents after going outside 2-3 hours prior bite-sized puppy tips to get order. And, if any sleep looks like those are breeders who had puppies available straight,! It after the most energetic dog breeds and the 2nd most common to develop bad separation.... Eyeballs in puppy requests, and anyone with a new puppy can be,! Complaint as such - I 'll take bells over cleaning poop and pee off the floor any day Pinterest... Sharp teeth 4-month-old pup still has tons and tons of puppy energy which makes it hard for him to (! The same again, in a good breeder lessons the focus of your puppy’s first,... 4-Month-Old pup still has tons and tons of puppy energy which makes it for... My 4-month-old pup still has tons and tons of puppy energy which makes hard! Stocked with treats and, if … puppy Care 101: a Guide on how to make your puppy explore. Floor any day eliminate almost every 30 minutes of life’s surprise events is itching! Common to develop bad separation anxiety makes it hard for him to focus ( even on treats )., but you’ll want to be on a waitlist for a while also...